Wednesday, October 06, 2010

What lesson are we sending home?

I turned on the news last night ( I know everyone says we should expunge that practice from our habits--sorry just addicted) and they were runing a story about the benefits of same sex classrooms. They were reporting that the standardized test scores were higher in the same sex classrooms then in co-ed ones. As I listened to the story I asked my self whether we were sending the wrong message. We have a probelm in many organizations with instances of harrassment as demonstrated by the fines being levied by the regulators. So if we tell our leaders of tomorrow that it is to their best interest to learn in segregated classrooms, does this mean that they are not responsible for learnin ghow to work in the real world.

If we have hostile work environments do we resolve that by telling the human capital assets in our organizations that they can avoid working with those who might place us in that environment. Do we tell them that because studies have proven that same sex classrooms work better, do we also tell them the only collaboration that needs to take place in the workplace is between the same sex members of the workforce?

When I was going to school we had same sex physical education but other than that we were all in the same courses. I don't think that had any dramatic result in my education. It has not hindered my creativity. ( the news article stated that boys in same sex classrooms are more likely to show their creative sides compared to when they have co-eds in the clasroom), What do you think? Are we going down the wrong path?

Posted via email from hrstrategist@Net-Speed

No comments: